LONDON – A UK court on Sunday ordered the Mail to pay undisclosed financial damages to the Duchess of Sussex after ruling in her favor in a long-running copyright infringement case.
The newspaper confirmed that following hearings in January and May, the court ruled Meghan Markle would receive money from the Mail’s parent company, Associated Newspapers.
Markle sued Associated Newspapers nearly three years ago for invasion of his privacy and copyright infringement by posting excerpts from his handwritten letter to his father in The Mail on Sunday and Mail Online.
The Mail on Sunday confirmed that “financial remedies” had been agreed, but did not disclose the amount. The settlement decision ends the case and means it will not be heard by the UK Supreme Court.
As reported in May, Markle won the copyright element of his case in the UK High Court after suing the publisher of The Mail on Sunday for copyright infringement and invasion of privacy.
Earlier in the year, judge Judge Warby granted Markle “summary judgment” in the privacy portion of the case, meaning it was resolved without a trial. is necessary.
As reported, The Mail on Sunday had published a handwritten letter from Markle to her father Thomas Markle, triggering legal action in late 2019. The complaint was filed shortly before the Duke and Duchess of Sussex stepped down. royals and moved to North America.
The headline of the article read: ‘Revealed: Letter Showing the True Tragedy of Meghan’s Break-up with a Father She Said’ Shattered Her Heart into a Million Pieces ‘.’ The newspaper had obtained the letter by Thomas Markle and published it in five installments. in print and online at the start of 2019.
Earlier this year, the judge described the letter as containing “inherently private and personal matters” and argued that a trial would have reached the same conclusion.
In May, the judge again granted summary judgment in favor of Markle on the copyright claim. The Mail on Sunday unsuccessfully appealed the decision, then finally agreed to settle the case.
Lawyers for the newspaper had argued that Markle co-wrote the letter with a member of Royal Family staff and therefore was the property of the British monarch.
But staff member Jason Knauf said in court he did not co-author the letter.
Knauf was previously the Communications Secretary to the Duke and Duchess of Sussex. Several UK newspapers, citing emails, reported that Knauf was the person who complained at Buckingham Palace in 2018 that Markle was intimidating staff members.
Markle has denied all allegations of bullying and maintains that she is the subject of a smear campaign.
The couple’s law firm, Schillings, had said early on that the proceeds of any damage would be donated to an anti-bullying charity.
The couple had revealed their intention to file a complaint on their old website. Their statement was long and accompanied by a passionate statement from Prince Harry about the media intrusion into their lives.
“As a couple, we believe in free media and objective and truthful reporting,” Harry’s statement read.
“We see it as a cornerstone of democracy and in the current state of the world – at all levels – we have never had a greater need for responsible media,” he said, adding that his wife was became the victim of a “British tabloid press which campaigns against individuals without thinking of the consequences – a ruthless campaign which has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and during the upbringing of our new -not.